Wednesday, June 10, 2009

End of the year festivities...and the Hereafter

I have decided that the 'shutting down' of a classroom and all the 'fun' that goes with it is something that is easier for the 40 and under crowd. Not to say that I don't get it done, it just takes a lot longer and makes me sneeze more than it used to. Guess one could say "I'm too old for this"!

The amount of dust that had settled on parts of shelves, books, and other 'undisturbed' areas during the school year astounded even me. Now, the reason I say I'm astounded is that I am accustomed to living with dust, pet hair, etc. BUT, it was so thick on top of the shelves that the dust bunnies looked like something much more fierce. These were dust donkeys! They were huge! I made the mistake of trying to rearrange some of my, um, decorations on that top shelf and had to retreat from the monsters I found there! Ahhhhchhhoooo! Yes, another allergy attack right there at the end of school.

Seems that everyone may be allergic to dust, but I am severely allergic to it. Yes, I know what you are thinking....I DID have a dust mask in the drawer, but the damage had been done when I climbed up on that chair (which is another thing that I'm too old to do!) and 'disturbed' the nest. It reminded me of that egg chamber in one of the Alien movies....and they were hatching!

So, I decided to quietly and quickly retreat from that field of dust donkeys without so much as a slight breeze, because it all came floating down, down, down to the computers, floor, my hair, my nose. Grosssss! I was brave enough to ask the custodian that 'if they had time' during the summer to at least vacuum up there. Yeah, right. Like I'm high on the priority list. I will be taking my dust buster to school in August and have open hunting season on dust donkeys. I will be wearing a mask, too. I will also be drugged with much Claritin and Sudafed.

The other reason I am too old for this is that I can't remember squat. I had a firewire cord IN MY HAND and the next day, it was GONE! Looked through 2 rooms, all the drawers, closets, and boxes...no cord. I had resigned myself to having to purchase one to accomplish my techhie objectives over the summer, when I started unpacking a box I had brought home when, Voila! There's my firewire. I feel so stupid. I feel so old. I feel so....well I forgot. Proves my point, doesn't it!

Classroom is closed, and I am happily in my summer schedule. I will organize, put away, etc......until I forget what the heck I was supposed to be doing and where the heck the stuff was that I was looking for...! I believe in the hereafter. I go into a room and stop and say, "Now, what am I here after?" Yeah. It'll happen to you, too. Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion, please: