Monday, July 6, 2009

Twilight Blue and Caramel Melt

Don’t those words just ease your tension and make your mouth water? Not hardly. They are paint colors. (Yes, a job I’d like to have: sit around and think up new paint color names.) These are two colors that are being used in my basement. We are in process of “fixin’ up the basement apartment” for my adult daughter. To make it her own, she picked out paint colors. I have no problem with that. They are pretty. The reason for this entry is that I have found out today that “I’m too old for this.”[Caramel melt.] Painting. Not me. No more. The ‘proper’ method of painting [thank you DIY network and HGTV] is to tape off everything you don’t want to become the new color. Well, this is a kitchen. Do you actually KNOW how many nooks and crannies are in a kitchen area? The designer of this particular kitchen, well, was on drugs…literally. Therefore, we spent taping about an hour and painting about 15 minutes.

I have discovered that my poor old bones do NOT want to climb the little ladder, up and down, up and down. I have also discovered that my arms do NOT want to roll paint on a wall…back and forth, back and forth. There IS a reason why we hire painters when we get old. I know my daughter was frustrated with me when I said, “That’s as high as I can reach,” meaning that she got to climb around on the counter and paint the top part. Did this activity USED to be fun? I remember watching my dad paint and thinking just how cool it was. Well, for the record…this is NOT FUN ANYMORE nor is it cool by anyone's imagination.

Then comes the cleaning of the rollers and the brushes. Oh please! This task was usually left to my dad or my husband. Since that new rule went into effect of “you mess it up, you clean it,” the joy of fishing and painting has escaped. Don’t want to clean fish. Did it once, won’t do it again. Don’t want to clean rollers and brushes. Alas, this task fell to me today.

So, as I settle down and dry out from the shower and rinsing the Twilight Blue from my fingers, I can look forward to the Caramel Melt painting of tomorrow. Perhaps if I’m eating, say, a Snickers bar it might go a little easier. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion, please: