Monday, March 16, 2009

The show must go.....really.

I've hit another milestone...I just can't teach these children to dance. Some have rhythm, more do not. In an attempt to let them experience a quasi-show choir performance, I allow students to learn and choreograph a song. I'm thinking, "This may be a mistake." Every semester I question myself, and then the new semester I give it another go. Well, THIS time, I decided to enable them to really understand a performance sequence; I'd give them a 'dress' rehearsal. Oh Lord, give me grace (and oxygen). I'm actually surprised by some of them; they did well. Some, oh my. Reminds me of my days as a child when we'd sing along to "Stop in the Name of Love" at my peeps' house in the afternoon after school. In fact, we did a better job than some of these sweet babies. Bless their little hearts.

Getting to the point, I saw probably 20 groups today before lunch, and gave them critiques for a better performance for their show tomorrow. As my knee starts to give out about 11:00 am and I'm running to find the groups to perform, getting CDs, plugging stuff in, moving tables around, I just realized (say it with me) I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS! Pass the Advil and get me a chocolate bar!

I ask my colleagues, why do I do what I do, and they say, "so the students will have an opportunity to be creative" to which I say they can't even spell it. Man, we've come a long way from 'the Day'. To conclude this tyrade....moving sound equipment, setting up same, finding groups spread along the hall, getting them to perform, giving suggestions (including demonstration of dance moves)...all in the name of 'better teaching practices' so the darlings will enjoy an 'outside the box' experience.....leaves me dripping in perspiration and panting for breath. Again I say, I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS....but that last 5 years will fly by and then I'll be looking for something else to occupy my time and what's left of the energy. Perhaps I could teach an aerobics class: it would be very similar!

So I say....put those tennis shoes back on, get the music cranked up. If I live through the next two days of exams for these darlins, I can at least have a respite before exams roll around again. Meanwhile, I WILL slug the next person that says "perhaps you need some exercise"!!! I'll make sure I take my vitamin C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion, please: