Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Roadie Job

Another day, another revelation. I was a 'roadie' today. For those who don't know what a 'roadie' is, they are the people who go in before a concert, haul in and set up all the equipment, check all the equipment to be 'show' ready, and then monitor and move things around during a show as needed. I'm finally getting dry after working up such a sweat that I looked like I had been in the rain. So becoming--the sweat dripping off your red, chubby cheeks. Each time a performer finished, a microphone needed to be moved, a stool placed in front, a light turned on, a microphone stand moved, etc. ! So there I am (how I got elected for this job, I do NOT know), at the end of each performance, running out there, moving something around, trying NOT to be seen. This happened about 9 times, as we had 9 performers in our school talent show. I didn't run the spot light....that was a' stand there and point' job. I didn't run the sound system....one much younger and smarter than I did that....it was 'sit there and turn knobs' job. No, there I am: running out center stage after each act moving and pushing and hauling and clicking.

It was only when the whole thing was over when I am red-faced, hair wet, clothes wet, out of breath and probably stinky that I came to myself and said "I'm WAYYY too old for THIS!" The thoughts occur to me that there is no one in the wings learning (and laughing) as I do these silly things. Now, that gives me a fiendish delight to think of another that will eventually take my place as a roadie. After all, 5 more years and this roadie finds a new crew, a new stage, a new tour! It will then be someone elses turn to sweat, run, pant, and worry.

So, tote that speaker, wind those wires, unplug those microphones and roll that cart. This roadie had better take her vitamins and slop on some extra deodorant tomorrow, because we get to do it three more times for the student body!!! I just know they will appreciate all my hard work and efforts......yeah....I'll just flip a bead of perspiration on them. Better not quit my day job~wait: this IS my day job!!! *singing* "On the road again"!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, look at the bright side...... Ok, I am sure there is a bright side...... wait a minute.... I almost have one..... Ummmm. Oh yeah! What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger! Now don't you feel stronger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stronger? No, I feel as weak as a sick kitten. What does not kill us makes us......wish we were dead.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion, please: