Friday, March 13, 2009

Winter Retreat

Well, just dropped my 'adult' daughter off at church to be a chaperone/counselor for the Winter Retreat that is an annual big deal at my church. Different this time, in that SHE was the one going to counsel, to feed, to guide. Yes, I've been there, done that, got several t-shirts to prove it, but the last one nearly killed me and so I've decided (say it with me) I'm too old for this! I knew several years ago that my time had come to pass the toothbrush, er torch and let the 'younger generation' take over in that position. Let's see, the last one I went to was that cabin that was so dusty, I had bronchitis for about a month afterwards. Lovely setting, deep in the woods, lake nearby, and lots and lots of dust. This was 'the cabin that time forgot.' I expected any minute that some 'Jason'-like character would come crashing through the window with a chain saw. Oh, I enjoyed my sofa-bed couch/mattress thingy, just had those two bars in my back and behind all night. Needless to say, this retreat weekend is one that eludes sleep. There are stories, oh yes, many stories of the shenanigans that went on during those retreats. Some I can tell, some I'd rather not, some I'll never know and that's just fine with me.

Sleep is something that has become very precious to me. When I was younger, it was the norm to sleep until 10 on a Saturday morning. Now if I get past 7, I'm sleeping late: which brings me back to my point.....the need for sleep. If there are people under 40 reading this, you just won't get it for another 10 years. Deprive me of my sleep (which sometimes commences at 9:00 pm - don't laugh...it will happen to you) and I am NOT a nice person. In fact, the word Nazi comes to mind. Winter Retreat is a synonym for NO SLEEP. Oh, I know, you can catch up on it later. No, can't. Once that sleep bank is overdrawn, LOOK OUT!

You can't imagine what the time change does to me. Affects me much like Winter Retreat used to do. So, God, please bless them. Let them get to know You and grow closer, growing as Christians and being bolder in their faith. As for the counselors, I'll have their sleep medications ready. Don't look for them at work Monday, or if you do see them, check for a swastika on their sleeve!

Time for my nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion, please: